Thursday, May 22, 2014

Triple amputee becomes TV host in Nepal

From ABC in Australia:

Kamala Shrestha (pictured) greets audiences with a confident smile every Friday and Sunday on Himalaya Television, a private Kathmandu-based station. 

The 29-year-old has only been in the presenter's chair six months but is already proving to be a natural talent.

What sets Kamala apart from other television news anchors is that she is a triple amputee.

Himalaya Television has welcomed her to the airwaves, she says.

"My disability was not an issue."

At age 10, Kamala lost both her arms and a leg after suffering an electric shock while retrieving a kite that was entangled in power lines.

"I survived an 11,000 watt electric shock. I am fortunate."

Before appearing on screens, Kamala hosted a radio program that focused on people with disabilities.

"I love expressing myself so radio presenting came very naturally to me," she said.

"I don't remember being nervous when I first went on air, either on radio or television. There was nothing to be nervous about."

When Kamala was 17, Rotary Australia flew her to Australia for treatment. It was her first trip abroad and, she says, a life changing experience.


She also loves music and singing, and even has an album to her name.

The album was released two-and-a-half years ago and she is currently working on a second.

"I sang about cultivating a positive attitude in my first album but in my second album I will be singing about love."

Kamala says she is grateful for her family's support.

"My mother and father have been great pillars of support. I cannot favour one over the other".

The Nepalese government says there are more than 500,000 people in the country who live with a disability.

Most cannot afford prosthetic or artificial limbs and government support is minimal.

Like many people, Kamala relies on the support of non-government groups.