Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In UK, "EastEnders" star makes documentary about her dyslexia

From RTE 10:


'Kara Tointon - Don't Call Me Stupid' will be shown on BBC Three as part of its 'Born Survivors' season in the autumn.

A BBC press release about the programme reads: "As an actress, Kara has always found it hard to learn scripts. She's worked hard for it not to stand in her way but admits that for her, auditions have always been nerve-wracking, and the idea of sight-reading terrifying.

"Now, she embarks on potentially life-changing coaching as she sets out to improve her reading ability and deal with the wider implications that the condition has had on all aspects of her life."

Commenting on the documentary, Tointon (pictured) said: "For years, it took me much longer to learn my 'EastEnders' lines than my cast-mates. Since I left the show, it's been even more of a struggle to read and remember lines for last-minute auditions.

"I was really excited about being given the opportunity to explore how exactly dyslexia has affected my life. I hope this experience will teach me how to manage my dyslexia and to also fulfil one of my biggest dreams - to read a book from cover to cover."