Friday, February 8, 2008

Marlee Matlin may Dance with the Stars


The Hollywood Insider reports that the ABC show, "Dancing with the Stars," may have convinced Academy Award-winning deaf actress Marlee Matlin to join the show's sixth season. But the show keeps very quiet about who each season's "stars" will be, so there is no confirmation from ABC or Matlin. ABC should announce the entire cast for season six later in February. The season premiere will be March 17.

Even though I don't watch "Dancing with the Stars," I hope it happens. Her presence will go a long way toward educating hearing people who don't seem to understand that many deaf people enjoy dancing and music. Media personality Mo Rocca had to retract his ridiculous comment about Marlee Matlin last spring when he made a stupid joke questioning why Matlin attended an American Idol performance.

Matlin's a class act, and after her interpreter complained to Rocca, she wrote her own response on his blog: "At the end of the day it's not the humor or the jokes that bother me, it's the real stuff like discrimination, lack of understanding, and inequality that ticks me off. Even more annoying are people who actually take the humor and use it to reinforce their prejudices. It's true some of your readers might have been sensitive to your comments but that's because they've been on the receiving end of ignorance - big time. So maybe that means we should choose our words carefully. At the same time, I think free speech and common sense are important too. So, you won't see me going Al Sharpton on you if you want to make a joke about me or my deafness. I'd just hope that people would just consider what they say and what they label as 'humor' in this YouTube, Instant Message world where things get replayed over and over again until we're desensitized. And I'm referring to both pro and con arguments. Let's just lower the volume, I say. (Pun intended)."

And if the Feb. 3 episode of "The L Word" was any indication, Marlee Matlin is already a fantastic dancer. Most of "The L Word" cast was in a party scene in which the whole gang rocked out to the Jackson 5's "I want you back." Matlin's character, Jodi, had already made it clear that she wanted to dance before the party scene, and even when her girlfriend left, she stayed -- to dance! Once again, thank you Marlee Matlin for being fabulous.